1. Celeste & Jesse Forever. Hands down number 1. I think this is mostly due to the reaction I had to the movie, but I just loved it so, so much. Funny, smart, sad, real.
2. The Dark Knight Rises. Chris Nolan is a fucking genius, I don’t care what anybody says. He made the blockbuster action flick epic again, and it was a fitting conclusion to the trilogy (even if I do rank TDK higher overall).
3. Silver Linings Playbook. So damn good. Perfect balance of comedy and drama. I’m glad to see Bradley Cooper finally getting some of the recognition that he deserves.
4. Django Unchained. Tarantino does it again. I think this is one of his most accessible and all-around entertaining movies to date. Great to see Leo step into a new role, and Christoph Waltz didn’t disappoint. Nice end to the year.
5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Beautifully made and a powerful story for the highschool kid in all of us.
- The Avengers. Obviously.
- 21 Jump Street. Hilarious and so much better than it had any right to be.
- Magic Mike. And no, not just because of the naked dudes. Awesome direction, decent story. Interested to see how the rumored sequel will fare.
(FYI - my favorite movie last year was Drive. Can’t wait for The Place Beyond the Pines!)
*Note: These are personal favorites — not the end-all, be-all best movies of the year.